There are so many things in this advert that are perpetuating sexism and making it appear OK for these things to exist. Because it is on TV, and shot in hi-def, it makes it appear glamorous/sexy etc and therefore desirable. If it didn't, they wouldn't be using it in the advert.
Just from one viewing, I saw
- mom's perspective being ignored, what do women know?
- fast/loud cars give you power & confidence, even to the extent of
taking what isn't yours (principle's parking space, another man's girl)
- women/girls like fairies, pink, dancing, shoes & being grabbed roughly to be 'given one'
- that if you stick it to her good, she'll become not only compliant but also willing
- gaining possession of forbidden fruits (car, parking, women) is fun, exciting, empowering
- girls, like cars, are owned by men and are there for the taking
for anyone who says that we're overthinking it: THE ADVERTISING
INDUSTRY WILL HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS IN GREAT DETAIL, DISCUSSED ALL OF
THIS, KNOWN IT WOULD UPSET SOME, BUT DECIDED THAT IT WOULD GENERATE
ENOUGH REVENUE THAT THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT UPSETTING PEOPLE.
Comments about the media where people say 'it's only TV' drive me crazy - I
can't believe how naive people are and that they seem blind to
understanding how much goes into pre-production. These messages are not
sent by accident. It is DELIBERATE, KNOWING AND PLANNED. A group of people WANT us to see these things and have these beliefs.
Never underestimate what the media is attempting to do.