Thursday, November 29, 2012

Why it's NOT OK to joke

about certain things.

Something has got me riled up.

A light hearted comment made on British TV (and no, I won't credit the person who said it) which referenced domestic violence has attracted some debate.

Predictably, the usual comments have been rolled out. He didn't really mean it. You've taken it out of context. You're being over emotional. Can't you take a joke?

Well, no.

I CAN'T FUCKING TAKE A JOKE THAT REFERENCES VIOLENCE.

I teach. I teach children about a lot of things. And one of the things that I teach is that certain things are never, and will never, be up for flippant comment. Domestic violence is one of those things. The children that I teach get it. So why, oh why, don't adults?

Believe it or not, I don't go around looking for things to offend me. I'm not 'professionally offended' and quite a few people who actually know me think that I am quite funny, even entertaining at times. I have a reputation for being pretty laid back and easy going.

So when I do get upset, I think it's because something is genuinely upsetting. TV shows are scripted, discussed, planned etc. So somewhere, a group of people thought that it would be OK to use the phrase 'punch you in the face then give you a little kiss'. This phrase is often used to describe the physical and emotional ways in which men (generally) assault their partners. First the pain, then the turmoil, as they say 'it's OK, I only do it cos I love you' before they plant the kiss.

So, please don't make jokes like that. It isn't actually funny. I can think of lots of jokes, but domestic violence isn't one.

1 comment:

  1. Well said!

    It bothers me that people think something as fundamental as the words we choose to use, isn't really a suitable topic for debate, as if it's somehow unfair to call someone on a term they've used in case they happened to have been failing to engage brain when they said it.

    ReplyDelete